Sunday, January 31, 2010

A Short Sunday Post [tofu-venture]

This afternoon, Amber and I decided to do a little experimentation with tofu. Before I get started sharing our tofu experiences, let it be known that we are in no way gourmet cooks, (it is debatable whether or not we are even good cooks). But, yesterday we went to the grocery store and bought ourselves some tofu. Today we decided to do a little experimenting with tofu of the extra-firm variety.

Although I am definitely not all that good at cooking, I decided not to look up recipes online, but instead to dive right in. With no real notions as to what tastes good with tofu, or how exactly one cooks it, I struggled with the packaging until I had a large block of tofu sitting there on a plate in front of me. My little sister, who has no interest in our vegetarian experiment, poked it with her finger and promptly said, "That's disgusting." I am a very adventurous eater, and know not to judge something by the way it looks. But I had to admit that the springy texture was a little odd.

I cut 2 thin strips of tofu off of the block, and each strip into 6 pieces. I then decided to marinate 6 of them in soy sauce. I pulled out a nonstick skillet and got to cooking. I called over Amber halfway through cooking the first piece of tofu, and after each was 'done' cooking (we have no experience with tofu and could only guess when they were cooked enough) we cut them each in half and gave them a rating from 0 to 5. The results are as follows:

  • soy sauce marinade (3)
  • soy sauce cooked in oil (2)
  • soy sauce with red pepper flakes (3.5)
  • soy sauce with thai seasoning (4)
  • uncooked (0)
  • plain (1.5)
  • cheese (2)
  • garlic powder (1)
  • chulula sauce (1)
  • ground ginger (2.5)
  • seafood rub cooked in oil (1)
  • sugar (1)
Tofu of the spicy variety was by far our favorite. Although tofu may have an unusual look and springiness, it tastes really good. Amber was not as much of a fan of the plain cooked tofu as I was, but I could happily have some fried or plain cooked tofu for a snack or side dish. Over all, I think that I have learned a little bit more about how to cook tofu, and what goes good with it. This week we are going to try some tofu-oriented recipes and see how they turn out. I am excited to learn more about how to cook with it.

-Morgan

No comments:

Post a Comment